New Media in Art: 191-212 Response

   This section of the book discusses the idea of computer art and its identity as a technology-driven medium. As is the case with other art forms reliant on technology, computer art has evolved as the technology behind it has evolved. As the medium itself changes, artists are able to express their visions in new and exciting ways. Furthermore, the increased availability of the personal computer since the 1980s has allowed for the flourishing and democratization of digital art as a whole (similarly to the rising popularity of personal video cameras prior).

  What I found most interesting in this section was the idea of cinema and its relationship to its increasingly digital medium. As digital video becomes the norm in the film industry, the raw footage that a camera captures has become functional primarily as a raw material through which the artist edits and sculpts into the final product; similar to a sculptor, the raw images taken by a camera become comparable to marble that the director or editor sculpts into the art itself. I found this interesting to think about because I learned how to edit and manipulate raw images and video in school long before I ever took them myself. The image was never the final product, but rather a starting point in which the artistry of color grading, transposing, and adjusting began. Similarly, I grew up with the notion that everything was edited and manipulated, whether it be special effects in a movie or touch-ups in magazines. As time goes on, I believe the term "computer art" will continue to lose its meaning as the computer loses its identity as a unique medium and becomes analogous with all different types of art.


   Rush, Michael. New Media in Art. 2nd ed., New York, Thames & Hudson Inc., 2005.

   

Comments

  1. I think it's really interesting that you grew up with the idea that the image was never the final product, because that's often how I think. I really like that you address this is because it can continually be edited and changed. I also think your observation that the term "computer art" might lose it's meaning is a solid one. On one hand I agree, seeing how we tend to use the term "digital art" instead, but on the other, I'm not sure about the computer losing it's identity as a unique medium. Great observations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very interesting and shocking on how far we get far we have come for technology. We are progressing at a phenomenal rate, which in in return, we are managing to get more tools to help us create newer practices. Even we look back over 10 years ago, we are looking at super sophisticated technology. I find that incredible and mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inspirations List

New Media in Art: 116-134 Response